Tiling onto Foil-faced Kingspan/Cellotex type stuff

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will bathroom tiles adhere OK to foil-faced insulation board? I'm renovating a small bathroom. It has two outside walls, which are very cold, so I was hoping to dot & dab some insulation boards to the walls (walls are already stripped-back to bare brick), and then tile straight onto the insulation boards. I've got some spare 22mm "Kingspan" type board, which should be ideal, however it is foil-faced on both sides, so I'm not sure how well the tiles will stick to it. I was was thinking of painting on a slurry of adhesive first if necessary. Is this likely to be succesful? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
No the insulation boards won't take the tiles,you will need to board over them with plasterbrd and you will need to fix through the plasterbrd and insulation into the blockwork.

Thanks. Is there no primer or anything I could try that would make the tiles stick? It's a small room already so I'm really reluctant to loose any more space with another layer of plasterboard. As well as a primer I could "rough-up" the surface of the board if you think that would help?

Simplepimple, One thing that might get you around this little problem is Ardex WPC. It is a waterproofing kit which consists of a powder and paste. http://www.ardex.co.uk/pdfs/ARDEX WPC.pdf

Might be worth giving their TEC a call in the morning, they are always happy to help.

The reason I mention this product is because it sticks to almost anything and gives you a nice rough finish to tile onto (as you roller it on).

Sponsored Links
No problem, that will most likely give you your surface to tile onto, but weight will still be an issue so check with supplier of insulation to make sure of weight allowance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back