Intsalling heavy tiles in victorian bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to tile my bathroom with Italian porcelain tiles. The tiles are large and are 90x45 so perhaps heavier than your average tile. Because of this I was advised to remove the old lime plaster which was in places blown as if i didn't the tiles will just fall off.

I've now removed all plaster and are back to solid brick with lime mortar joints. The wall is dusty and has lime on the bricks. To be able to tile I was going to dot and dab moisture plasterboards onto the wall and then afix the tiles directly onto the plasterboard.

However when I called gypsum technical advice they advised me not to use dry wall adhesive on a dusty lime mortar wall as the self adhesive will not afix to lime. Has anyone come across this?? I was advised by them to use battens to afix board too but id like to dot n dab as I think itl be easier. But obviously i dont want the heavy tiles pulling the board off the wall

Sponsored Links
I'd batten this and use MR plasterboard with a tanking kit or hardiebacker board or similar.

No way would I dot and dab on an external wall, especially if you are tiling on top, imagine if the dabs get damp, fail and a whole wall of plasterboard and tiles falls on you.....

I'd batten this and use MR plasterboard with a tanking kit or hardiebacker board or similar.

No way would I dot and dab on an external wall, especially if you are tiling on top, imagine if the dabs get damp, fail and a whole wall of plasterboard and tiles falls on you.....

^ TheVictorian voices My thoughts also on Dot and Dab. To be honest. I don't even like the idea of Dot and Dabbing.... I'd never do it myself personally at all. And the fail point would be just scary.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for advice. I'll look to batten then and use packers to level the wall.

My bathroom is 9 inch solid brick and has 3 external facing walls, would I be stupid not to add at least some insulation?

I was looking at the gyproc thermaline boards but my question on using these are if they are a suitable board to hang larger tiles on and weather they are waterproof enough like the MR or hardiebacker boards.

Personally I'd use 2"x2" battens spaced from the wall and with packers and 600mm centres and fit 50mm celotex or similar in the gaps.

I've just done this in a new ensuite at home and it's toasty in there now.

What fixing would you use to secure battens to solid brick wall?

Would you also go for MR/ hardiebacker in whole bathroom or just in wet area like the shower. Also in the shower do I need to tank or do anything else to MR, hardiebacker or aqua panel board before tiling?

Thanks again for help.

Couple more questions if that's ok

Do these concrete screws require plugs or can I just go straight into brick with them?

When Tanking the MR board in the shower did you just use a primer or tanking kit?

I used these tanking kits. I used 2 for a bath/shower zone and covered the wall/screen area and part of the floor outside the bath also.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Everbuild-A...d=1395766788&sr=1-4&keywords=aquaseal+tanking

I suspect concrete screws are right in to the brick :) I screwed and plugged our Plasterboard. Just be careful when screwing in. Pick up a plasterboard screw bit as they stop on the surface without damaging the plasterboard. There about £2 posted.

You get a Primer as part of the full tanking kit.

Thank you both for all your help. I'll be buying 2x2 battons, 50mm celotex and MR boards then. I'll look at that tanking kit too.

I have bricks with hollow holes in them and they are very susceptible to cracking as soon as I drill into them. I hope these concrete screws don't do that but I'll give them ago.

Anything else I need to consider? I've got insulation, I'll have a secure fixing with the battons for which to fix boards and then heavy tiles too

For tiles that size (assuming cm) make sure you use a Cement Based powder adhesive, also Prime any plaster products with something Like Primer G so no cement reaction occurs. Also Tiles that size you will probably want to use something like BAL Rapid Set. Only mix up small amounts as apparently it goes off rather fast! I used BAL SPF White.

PS, do you have a weight of those Tiles?

Plasterboard has a weight limit of 32kg per sqm I believe. Wet plaster is 20 or so. Those tiles might be that heavy you actually have to use 12mm Backerboard as I believe that's got a 50kg sqm limit.

The Victorian - I am concerned if I use 50mm insulation
and 50mm battons then the size of the room will look dramatically smaller.

Did your room look smaller visually when you did it?

I couldn't tell the difference personally, it's only 5cm! My ensuite is 1.6m x 1.6m and it feels more than big enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back