Does dot and dabbing plasterboard onto brick need screws too?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I have used dot and dab to put some plasterboard onto a brick wall so I can tile it.

Is it possible to tile onto the board without screwing the board into the wall? Does dot and dab hold some decent weight?

I'm only putting subway tiles on

Sponsored Links
No.
If you want you can use wedi washers and a few screws but no need if stuck well.
I did on last job because I knew they were going to hang some things up so used tapered edge board and put screws on joins and skimmed over..
No need though.

OP,
You can tile on plasterboard just so long as the board is on a "dry wall" - its best to use backerboard on "wet walls" ie shower & bath walls etc.

Sponsored Links
Load bearing for bare plasterboard is higher for bare plasterboard than plastered plasterboard. Dot and dab- I am only guessing but probably Ok so long as you aren't using 10mm thick tiles.

As @tell80 suggested, you are better off using cement boards in areas that may get wet. At a minimum apply SBR to the face of the plasterboard.

Plasterboard rots and becomes weak when wet, cement boards don't. You would mitigate risks by tanking any plasterboard in areas likely to get wet if things go pair shaped.

Oh, and use cement based adhesives- the stuff in tubs from DIY sheds becomes soft when wet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back