Tiles on plasterboard/ dot & dab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just starting a bathroom and after removing the existing tiles half of the plaster has fallen off.some of it is on brick and some on lath/ plaster, which I haven't come across before.
My question is on the brick work ,is it ok to fix plasterboard using dot& dab. And then tile on the plasterboard without skimming it?
I shall tape any joints and prime with Mapei g

Sponsored Links
Hi mate, all sounds fine. Just tile straight onto the plasterboard. Literally no point skimming it if you plan to tile it, and if it was skimmed you would have to wait a couple days then prime the fresh plaster before tiling. You also know that with a sheet of plasterboard that it is true and flat without any dips and/or bumps.

Problem with tiling directly onto plasterboard is mainly when the next person comes along to take tiles off it destroys the boards and uou have to re board

Problem with tiling directly onto plasterboard is mainly when the next person comes along to take tiles off it destroys the boards and uou have to re board

Why would that matter though? Any wall gets f***ed when tiles come off regardless. the only time a wall wouldn't get ruined is if the tiles weren't put on properly in the first place and didn't adhere properly.

Sponsored Links

Why would that matter though? Any wall gets f***ed when tiles come off regardless. the only time a wall wouldn't get ruined is if the tiles weren't put on properly in the first place and didn't adhere properly.
Cos im the one taking them off most weeks!
On a skimmed plasterboard wall i can get tiles off with very little damage, a bit of patching here and there but dont have to re board.

Lol, have you given OP a quote for ripping all his tiles off and starting again once he's done all the work on his bathroom or something?

If you go by that logic of what it would be like to rip it all out ( why would you want to ? ) you'd literally get nothing done around your house.

No but you never know ten years time, op moves out somebody moves in doesnt like op's tiles, gives me a call i start ripping tiles off etc.etc.

No but you never know ten years time, op moves out somebody moves in doesnt like op's tiles, gives me a call i start ripping tiles off etc.etc.

True but why should OP care about that? Lol Who cares? Should he spend the time and money getting a plasterer in to skim the walls to make life easier for some top hat who wants to rip them off when he's long gone?

I always have to uncover ****ty workmanship in jobs as well, you see it all the time in houses but that's the nature of the job.

I do this for a living. And in my opinion always better to skim or even tank.
Op asked the question, thats my answer.
That's how i do it.
Op if you do get it skimmed asked Plasterer to Put a brush finish on, much cheaper as he Doesn't have to polish it up and tiles adhere much better

1. The plaster lath has to be re-fixed or removed - you cant dot and dab or do anything else on an unstable surface. Prep makes the job.

2. D&D is a very poor method esp. in a bathroom - moisture might get behind it and cause condensation and mould.

3. Skimming is definitely not the way to go - its unnecessary & a weak background surface for heavy modern tiles.

4. OP,
Mapei G will do nothing for you - you either liquid tank the plaster board or, better by far, fix backer board or float in a render of sand and lime or S&C.

FWIW: direct tile fixing to plaster boards is against Code in many US cities.

Ok lads I've been back today and removed all the dodgy plasterboard and pulled off the lath in two areas
I'm going to plasterboard tomorrow, majority of the shower tray (1500 x800)
Will be moisture resistant boards which are screwed into wood and I will liquid tank
Two other walls in the bathroom are brick which I will dot and dab
Ree why is it not allowed in some U.S. States?
The one wall was tiles on tiles on plaster, about inch and quarter thick but it fell off quickly,I don't mind that , in fact I prefer it knowing I will start tilting onto a firm surface . But norton is right but there never seems to be enough time to get a plasterer in to sort it
Thanks again lads

US cities or local areas not states have bans in place: eg google cityofpaloalto.org and look for building inspection sheet. Palo Alto is a benchmark for codes and best practices.

Essentially, because of the amount of failures and consequent costly water damage repair work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back