Bonding Foil-faced Kingspan/celotex type stuff to brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Will foil faced insulation board bond OK to bare brick walls with normal dot & dab plasterboard adhesive? I'm renovating a small bathroom. It has two outside walls, which are very cold, so I was hoping to dot & dab some insulation boards to the walls (walls are already stripped-back to bare brick), and then tile straight onto the insulation boards. I've got some spare 22mm "Kingspan" type board, which should be ideal, however it is foil-faced on both sides, so I'm not sure how well it's going to stick to the wall, and indeed how well the tiles will stick to it. I was thinking of painting on a slurry of adhesive onto the foil faces first if necessary. Is this likely to be succesful?

Similary, the ceiling needs reboarding, and I could use more of these insulation boards for that, which I can screw up to the rafters, but again, would the foil face take a skim of plaster OK? (again, with a slurry of adhesive or some primer if necessary)?

Looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
This is not the recommended method, you should install the insulation behind a timber stud work, then plasterboard your wall.
insulate between the joist in the ceiling for insulation purposes, if the ceiling knackered over board it with plasterboards, both the ceiling and the walls will require a vapour check barrier, to prevent condensation.
http://www.greenspec.co.uk/documents/refurb/solid-walledhouses.pdf

It seems a lot of trouble to put up timber studwork for just 22mm of insulation (the wall is quite uneven so would need a lot of packing to get the battens level), and is a layer of plasterboard really necessary when I'm going to tile it? It's a small room already, so I'm keen to not reduce the room size any more than absolutely necessary.
I have no doubt that you're right that my suggestion is not the "recommended" method, but would it work?
Regarding the vapour barier; would the foil faces not provide a reasonable vapour barrier?
Thanks.

the foil will not bond to board adhesive and i dont think tile adhesive with have a good bond either, also they will not be ridged enough to tile onto even if you could.

batten the walls with 2x1 battens on 400mm centers and cut the kingspan inbetween them then plasterboard.

with the ceiling you can screw the kindspan to the rafters and then screw plasterboard through that into the rafters. although i suspect it may be better to use the excess kingspan over the battens as well as inbetween before plasterboarding and just top up the loft insulation with fiberglass wool if there is a cold issue.

Sponsored Links
I have no doubt that you're right that my suggestion is not the "recommended" method, but would it work?
No it wouldn't work, in time it will all fall off. Total waste of your time.

When you have used battens etc,as suggested above, and finished the job, try putting a bit of plaster on it . Leave it for a week or two then you will see that the man from Stroke City is right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back