Insulation between bathroom false ceiling and loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

So I'm just looking at the best way to insulate the bathroom of my bathroom, if in fact it needs doing.

I have removed the old plasterboard during renovation, there is a good size (50-60cm) false ceiling gap.

I am fitting spotlights approved for IP44, I also have an Manrose inline fan I'm fitting with 245m³/hr flow, vented above the bath/shower - over specced for the room I believe as it's only 2.5x2.5m or so.

There is no insulation in the loft (another job), on the bottom of the loft joists is the very old style thin battoning.

So basic question is where to seal against moisture getting into the ceiling space and subsequently the loft.

Although I started this project for my own means I'm selling the house now, so looking for the most cost effective solution that is still 'doing it properly'.

I haven't been able to find an authoritative answer, but my plan was to buy some insulation board like Kingspan TW50 or similar (haven't properly looked into the spec sheet yet) and fit this above or between the false ceiling joists - but not sure if this is going to make much difference if the spotlights are going to allow moisture ingress.

I've also seen some videos which basically just have plasterboard then loft insulation lying over the top of this, with the down lights just poked through the insulation. This would obviously be the easiest solution if it were acceptable?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back