Insulation between ceiling joists.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've taken down the lath and plaster ceiling of the ground floor of a 1920s terraced house and am just about to put up plasterboard.
The ceiling joists are 8" deep and have thin wood slats fixed about halfway down them to support a thin layer of clinker and other stuff, obviously as a form of insulation.
Would there be any great or noticeable advantage in taking this out and replacing with modern insulation?.
The room is bare walls and solum so I dont mind the extra dust and dirt to do it if I thought it would be worthwhile.
Presumably this would increase the heat retained in the living room at the expense of the upstairs bedrooms?. Heating is to be by multifuel stove in the living room with radiators upstairs.

Sponsored Links
Use rockwool, insulation and soundproofing in one. You can buy it in rolls which works out cheaper than batts, 4" will be good enough.

If you have teenagers that like to thump out loud music from their bedrooms, and the ground floor ceiling is plenty high, fix the pb to resilient channel.

Thanks, will it be OK to run the lighting cables amongst this stuff or will they have to be in plastic ducting or something?.

Will be alright, no need to completely fill the void, just use 4" insulation and run the cables under/over this.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back