OK to insulate between the living ceiling joists with foil PIR boards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've pulled down the ceiling in the living room and what to put some insulation back up there before I put up a new plasterboard ceiling.

Is it OK to put foil faced PIR boards between the joists as insulation?
Ideally I would like to use something other than glass fibre as part of what is above the living room is the bathroom and I'm sure that at some point there will be a leak!

I'm NOT planning to use ceiling spot lights.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Lol thats a bit of a pessimistic outlook waiting on a leak from your bathroom.

You wouldn't normally insulate floors between rooms other than for sound deafening purposes.

What is the purpose of the insulation? Sound or thermal insulation?

@alastairread it's a tenanted property. I can almost guarantee that at some point something will break, fail or taps will be left on etc. Seen and heard it all before.....

It would be thermal insulation.
The room is a dank, sunless room which currently never really seems to get 'warm'.

There was something in the back of my mind that (maybe due to potential of fire) that it was best NOT to use foil boards in the internal of houses?

Sponsored Links
@alastairread it's a tenanted property. I can almost guarantee that at some point something will break, fail or taps will be left on etc. Seen and heard it all before.....

It would be thermal insulation.
The room is a dank, sunless room which currently never really seems to get 'warm'.

There was something in the back of my mind that (maybe due to potential of fire) that it was best NOT to use foil boards in the internal of houses?
PIR is OK, fibreglass is better for sound insulation.

If there is a leak, what's the downside to having glass fibre, in or out of a plastic bag? It'd get wet, then either need to be allowed to dry or replace that bit.

If the room isn't getting warm, the simplest and most likely way to fix it is to out in a bigger or more effective radiator. Assuming the room(s) above are heated then there won't be much heat disappearing through the ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back