Is it ok to insulate kitchen ceiling with foil insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am taking down my kitchen ceiling and having a new plasterboard me put up. I don't have any heating I'm my kitchen so while the ceiling is down I thought I would insult it using that foil backed roll insulation (like silver bubble wrap).
If I leave 50mm gap from the ceiling joist is this ok to do and not cause me any moisture issues?

I am also putting in a chimney extractor Hood and also thought I could hide the ducting in the ceiling space rather than building a bulkhead. This with the insulation can anyone think if this may cause me any moisture problems please?

Thank you very much for your help, this forum is brilliant!

Kind regards

Simon

Sponsored Links
That foil insulation wont do a thing if you have no heating, and not much if you did. But it will potentially be a condensation barrier which drips back down to the plasterboard

I can't think a a reason to insulate a kitchen ceiling unless its a roof too. If you insist, then use quilt instead and foil-backed plasterboard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back