Insulation Board around Socket - Best Practice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a single side of an old lath and plaster stud wall that I'm re boarding. (I'd like to do both sides at once but the other side is the bathroom which has been overboarded and tiled by the previous owner which is a job I'm avoiding redoing for a while)

Whilst putting in noggins and a few additional vertical pieces to make up for the uneven existing spacing I've decided to insulate it with 50mm board. However I'm completely new to this and I'm not sure of best practice around the sockets / light switches that sit on recessed braces. I've seen a few videos with fiberglass sheets however it seems a little harder to work around the cables with the rigid board.

My first assumption was to just cut it as neatly as possible to pack it all in however I wanted to check to see if space was needed against the back boxes and the best way to deal with the hanging cables from below.

Any help or feedback would be appreciated.

(P.S, yes I know some of the noggins aren't perfectly straight! The original studs were very twisted and bent. Nightmare!)

Attachments

• IMG_0701.jpg
    IMG_0701.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0704.jpg
    IMG_0704.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You don't really need to insulate internal walls, although you do put some in bathroom walls, but I don't think board is the best bet idea...

Cheers for the response. I just wanted a little extra protection from the bathroom noises more than anything. Plus I was able to pick up these bits of board relatively cheap so I thought I'd go for it.

The shower / toilet are on the other side of the wall and a bed is likely going to be up against it so it can be fairly noisy.

Is it a problem putting these boards internally? I haven't cut loads yet. maybe only 6-7 squares. so if it had to go it wouldn't be a big problem. I can use it elsewhere.

I dont think it's an issue, just that as I understand it, you need mass for sound abatement, and those boards are many things, but heavy isn't one of them!

Electric forum maybe able to help more with your query, but be warned, it will probably turn into an argument, or they will ask lots of questions!

Sponsored Links
Thats thermal insulation, it won't do anything for sound I'm afraid!

Take it out again whilst you still can for when you need to thermally insulate something, and get some rockwool sound insulation for it now. It's like loft roll, but very dense and comes in slabs

Once you finished your insulation, you could also double board with two layers of plasterboard before skimming.

you can get sound insulation plasterboard but its heavy, very heavy! ie 47kg per board and its 15mm thick not 12.5.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back