insulation board: is one thick the same as two thin!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Would 100mm of rafter insulation board (kingspan tp10, celotex ga4000, etc) result in a better, worse or just the same thermal value than 2x50mm boards?

I'm converting a loft and I'm now getting round to ordering the insulation. After contacting all the suppliers (kingspan, celotex, etc) they all calculate than 100mm between rafters (50mm air gap plus two lots of 50mm insulationt) and 20mm over rafters plus the wall board will give a u-value of about 0.23, which is under the 0.25 requirement.

However, after pricing I found 100mm is a fair bit cheaper but I've contacted them that many times I'm embarrassed to email again :)

Not to bore* with the details I only got them to provide values for 2x50mm boards, but looking at the prices I can get 100mm a lot cheaper.

Thanks.

*If you really want to know, it's because I'm doubling up the current 100x50 rafters with 150x50 and so 100mm would need to be notched.

Sponsored Links
Using the Celotex 'U value calculator' (which you can also use yourself)

the results are as follows

400mm rafter spacings: 0.24
450mm rafter spacings: 0.23
600mm rafter spacings: 0.23

The u value is the number of Watts lost through the insulation, so a result of 0.23 is better than 0.25, so 100 mm board exceeds the requirement.

2 x 50 is the same as 1 x 100 unless you make a sealed air-gap which improves the insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back