Insulation - Does 100mm + 50mm = 150mm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to all,

I'm putting 150mm full fill insulation (Kinspan/Celotex) between rafters. I can get a load of relatively cheap 100mm Kinspan (K7) and was wondering if BC is okay with adding separate 50mm layer - 32.5 insulated plasterboard will go over the top. Only other factor is all boards are foil backed so at the sandwiching face foil will be touching foil.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
No problem. Be sure to fit the boards as snug as possible.

Why the full fill?

The usual scenario is to leave an air gap on the cold side, say 25-50mm, so that moisture rich air can be dealt with either via breathable roofing membrane or vents.

A typical detail would show 100mm between the rafters with a further 40mm underdraw.

im currently installing 75mm between and 50 below the rafter and 12.5mm plasterboard.

Thanks for quick replies.

Full fill is specified by architect, using breathable membrane on 18mm sarking and insulation pushed right up to sarking. Actually putting in a couple of 140's as I need a couple of cables run in ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget to have cable calcs done, for any de-rating of cables that are totally surrounded by insulation. As this does effect the current carrying capacity of cables.

Prentice, thanks for pointer. I'm planning on doing as much of the inside work as I can but the electrics are being left to the pro's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back