Insulation, boarding, and a Velux ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, so what I really need is a proper loft conversion, but just cant afford it right now (but maybe in a 5+ years time ?)
So, with that in mind; heres what I want to do:

I have a 1950's house with a big spacious loft. Not sure what the truss 'system' is, but its not W - most of them look like inverted V's, with a couple of them being like inverted A's. Therefore, there is a load of room up there just asking to be used !

The joists are quite shallow - I've not measured but I guess 3". The insulation is old and not adequate depth.
I want to increase the insulation, and board the entire area to use as storage and possibly play area for my boy (ideal for Scalextrix etc !). And as I want to use it for 'living' space (well, play space), I would like to put in a Velux roof light or two.

My original thoughts were to fix additional joists over the existing ones at right angles to increase the height, lay new insualtion in between the new joists (over the existing), then board over the top.
But having read some threads on here, I'm now not too sure.
Presumably, the loft will be v.cold in winter and v.hot in summer - not really what I want.
So, my current thinking is to strip out all the old insulation, board over the joists (thus leaving a gap between ceiling and new floor). Then insulate the slopped part of the roof (ie. directly below the felt/tiles) and plaster board over the top.

Will this be a better solution ?

How easy is it to fit Velux windows ? Can I do this myself, or should I get it done professionally ?

Am I wasting effort / money etc given that in 5+ years time we might be in a position to have a proper loft conversion ?

Sponsored Links
Dont be put off by the insulation in the floor/ceiling,it will also act as a bit of a sound deadener for those below,why not put kingspan or celotex inbetween the roof trusses,probably better than normal fibreglass pre boarding....as for the velux,these things seem to change all the time,unless you are pretty competant on the roof regarding cutting the tiles/slates/dressing the lead along with fitting double rafters to building regs(sure this is correct),it shouldn't be a problem,if not,I'd get someone in.
Cheers
SD Carps

Never ever use fibreglass/rockwool type insulation between rafter, besides it breaches regs. External roof coverings can heat up to 70 80 degrees in summer and without good foilbacked triple R or Kingspan Extra therm the interior will be like an oven, in winter then freezing. Worse still are the condensation issues of Rockwool.....Nightmare

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back