Insulation Confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning to pour a concrete slab for an extension in 2 weeks time, but am a little confused with the insulation requirements.

I had originally planned to go with 100mm PIR insulation in the slab, as everyone else seems to be doing that. But I noticed that certain brands offer far thinner insulation that also complies with what I understand is the minimal 0.022 W/mK requirement from building control.

Am I missing something, or would a 50mm PIR board like the Celotex GA4000 General Purpose PIR Insulation Board be adequate?

Would save a little money as those 50mm boards are cheaper, but more importantly... less digging for me (and less spoils removal).

Any other suggestions on insulation or where to order it welcomed.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think you are confusing the numbers thermal conductivity with resistance. The U value is 1 divided by Thermal resistance: 2.25 m²K/W.) You need to hit a U value of 0.22. the above on its own is going to be approx .44. You need another 50mm. Alternatively you could use 100mm of standard polly and opt for thinner insulation via a floating floor?

I didn't take account of any other building materials when doing the above. U values calcs are explained here (skip the first 2:30 seconds) :

Last edited:
I think you are confusing the numbers thermal conductivity with resistance. The U value is 1 divided by Thermal resistance: 2.25 m²K/W.) You need to hit a U value of 0.22. the above on its own is going to be approx .44. You need another 50mm. Alternatively you could use 100mm of standard polly and opt for thinner insulation via a floating floor?

That's the first time I've understood how R value relates to U value! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
All these insulation firms try to sell you tools to calculate it. its not hard. Thermal conductivity is a bit confusing as its expressed in watts per meter kelvin otherwise known as the lambda value. So all Celotex GA4000 boards will pretty much have the same thermal conductivity (Lambda) as its for a 1 meter thick slab. So the 20mm stuff has the same Lambda as the 100mm stuff. 5 20mm boards are as thick as 1 100mm board. You need to work out R (resistance for the actual thickness) from L before calculating U: (1 / sum R).

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back