insulation difference

M

marsaday

i need to insulate a sloping roof soon, but dont need to do it for building control. So i have a choice of not using kingspan stuff.

Anyone know the difference between kingspan 50mm and 50mm of polystyrene in terms of their thermal efficiency?

Sponsored Links
Worlds apart, use the proper stuff but 50mm won't cut it. What room is it, what will be in there that will need keeping warm?

it is the attic roof. my thoughts are to use polystyrene between the rafters and then 50mm kingspan above it (as you mentioned)

Well a lot of lost heat in your house goes through the roof. Is there any insulation between attic floor and the room below? Skimping on roof insulation will come back to bite you on the bum in the form of higher heating bills.

Sponsored Links
To answer the original question, 50 mm Kingspan has an R value of 2.00,
expanded ( not extruded ) polystyrene has an R value of 1.25.

The Kingspan insulates 60% more effectively.

so if you have the head room,a double layer of polystyrene could work out cheaper,depending on the prices you can get for both types of board

ok, i will go for the polystyrene and kingspan option as this is a rented house and i want to help improve the insulation, but i do not need to meet any regs.

How about a layer or two of the silver bubble wrap stuff as well its dirt cheap very thin and a u value of about 0.45

now would a tenant really be thinking of reroofing his rented house :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back