Insulation in garage floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would the standard Kingspan type of insulation be able to take the weight of a typical domestic car when covered with say 70 mm of concrete on a garage floor?

Tony

Sponsored Links
I will be making an extension with a span of about 4700 mm.

Is that too wide for single piece floor joists?

What size would usually be used ?

Can shorter ones be simply bolted together or are there very special requirements?

Tony

Would the standard Kingspan type of insulation be able to take the weight of a typical domestic car when covered with say 70 mm of concrete on a garage floor?

Tony
Why only 70mm?

Why are you insulating a garage floor?

I will be making an extension with a span of about 4700 mm.

Is that too wide for single piece floor joists?

What size would usually be used ?

Can shorter ones be simply bolted together or are there very special requirements?

Tony
look at using say 'Easi-joists' i.e. metal web engineered joists. They may be costly at first but are an absolute boon for plumbers and sparks and save hours in drilling and ducting etc. Loads of room for larger pipes too.

Sponsored Links

Tony
Why only 70mm?

Why are you insulating a garage floor?
I'd want a bit more than 70mm and some reinforcement in it to help spread the wheel load.
I've designed for this before so it can be done, but really you need to do a calculation based on the wheel load and the compressive strength of the insulation.

It has planning permission for and will initially be used as a garage.

But I would like the floor to be capable of use as a room in the future without extensive serious extra work hence the insulation.

Also it will be used significantly as a workshop so reasonably low heat loss would be good!

Tony

Are you ever going to park a car on it?

+1 for engineered joists. 4700mm is short. Google JJI span tables, though note that JJI are the osb ones not the metal ones mentioned earlier

Aye I've done similar before also, need to speak with kingspan or whosever insulation you're gonna use and an SE for a quick number crunch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back