converting garage to habitable room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of converting a garage, which is a modern garage, half brick wall on concrete floor. How would I meet insulation requirements with the floor? Presumably I would have to build the floor level up with slabs of insulation and then a screed on top?

For the walls, can a 100 mm block wall be build internally , with a cavity, or would the existing floor not carry the weight. How can I know how wide the existing footings are, or if the existing floor is thick concrete or just a screed?

Would an alternative be to make a timber frame against the eixsting wall with insulation inside it?

Any more general points on this type of conversion please?

Sponsored Links
You could install PIR boards then screed/pour over, you may need to take in to consideration of existing floor levels and whether this would create a step up between rooms.
You could also lay a timber raft down and insulate, then instead of screed, install floorboards to the raft, using floorboards or ply etc...
The best/easy method for the walls, would be to go with the timber/metal frame, this can be insulated.
You will need a vapour check barrier to be installed to prevent condensation between insulation and plasterboard.
Duplex(foilback plasterboards) have a vapour check fitted to them (the foil)
or you could consider using thermaline boards that also have a vapour check and thermal insulation.
If you google "K18", it may give you some ideas, this should be the link but the PC i'm on is carp with PDFs. So can't veiw it to be sure.
www.insulation.kingspan.com/uk/pdf/k18.pdf
And don't forget to plan for any electric cables and pipework for heating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back