Insulation in sloping ceiling (1930s build house)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My loft space is traditional build (i.e. no trusses) and has no felt, basically i can see the rafters and roof tiles when in the loft. It also has a raised tie which means the upstairs rooms have a sloping ceiling section. These sloping ceiling sections are not insulated and get major condensation during winter.

What is best way of insulating the sloping ceiling section? Most of the areas I can get to inside the loft but there are some areas that are not accessable.

Sponsored Links
the easiest way would be to strip the lower courses of tiles from the eaves and insulate from there. Depending on what tile/slate you have up there.

Thanks. What would be the best type of insulation - something like Celotex or Kingspan? Or Something else?

If space isn't critical it's often easier to fit insulated plasterboard over the sloping section from below.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. What would be the best type of insulation - something like Celotex or Kingspan? Or Something else?
Yes, one of these, fit the maximum thickness you can whilst leaving a 50mm air gap between the underside of the tiles and insulation. We assume you have good ventilation at the eaves?

Our latest raked ceiling involved 100mm betwixt (150mm deep rafters) with another 50mm across (underdraw) the rafters.

Next year it will be 100mm + 75mm.

The year after will be 100mm + 100mm and we will all be scratching our heads looking for dry wall fixings that are 140mm long! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back