Insulation into external timber frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The complete rear section of the 2nd floor of our house is timber framed and is very cold in the winter. It consists of foil backed plasterboard, a thin covering of mineral wall within a 100mm cavity, membrane and then weatherboard.

We are going to replace the weatherboard with tiles and fill the 100mm cavity with insulation. We are currently thinking of retaining the foil back plasterboard > 100mm Insulation boards > 20 mm OSB or wood fibre boards attached to the outside of the frame > breathable membrane > batten and tile.

Can anybody advise if this construction would be OK and breathable? OSB or wood fibre insulation boards? I was thinking of a foil based breathable membrane are these worth it over the tyvek types?

I am a complete newbie so please excuse an errors/stupid questions.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Cladding
25mm void (ie laths)
Breather membrane (normal type not foil)
12mm OSB/ply sheathing
100mm Celotext/Kingspan between frame with taped joints
Plasterboard
Skim

This will meet current b/regs, but does not allow for services

Add another 25mm (preferably 50mm) insulation board across the inside of the frame before plastering, and it will be much better/warmer inside

Not if he uses celotex/kingspan [foil coated] and tapes the joints ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies.

Do I tape the oustide of the celotex/kingspan foil? (E.g. the foil side under the OSB/Ply boards) Or should it be on the side next to the plasterboard (which for the moment I was hoping not to removed).

Good idea about using insulated plasterboard on the inside as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back