Insulation on a boat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, having to live on my boat for awhile and whilst I can get it warm it goes stone cold very quickly when heating is off.

It's a standard GRP hull build and if I remove interior panels there are spaces between 75mm and in some places 25mm deep where I could place the insulation, thinking Celotex but open to suggestions please.

Sponsored Links
For tightness of fitting it might be better to use spray foam? Unless your boat is a barge you've probably got lots of curves which are a pain with celotex.

Celotex is all more or less the same. At least the stuff you pick up at one of the DIY sheds is all the same, even if it's a different brand of PIR.

Sponsored Links
Rockwool would be easier to fit in all those nooks and crannies but you could get horrendous condensation problems unless you seal it really well. Combination of Celotex or whatever panels and spray foam may be your best bet

Yes there are different grades of Celotex and other similar boards for other makers, but whether one board is worth the extra cost for a slightly reduced thickness/greater efficiency would require some working out.

Foil-faced board such as Celotex would be the most efficient for any given thickness.

Just to say that spray foam is not an option now. To have the professionals in would mean stripping the boat and the diy stuff is messy and time consuming.
Whilst rock wool is ok once it becomes damp and flat it does nothing so I guess it is either celotex or one of the woven mat types with the foil covering which are higher rated for being flame retardant and better for insurance but which one is best?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back