Insulation over joists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The joists in my loft are just 70mm. Is it OK to put down a 100mm roll between the joists and then lie a second 100mm so that this layer goes across the joists to meet the recommended minimum depth? Are there any issues (condensation?) that means that the joists should not be covered and left to breath? Is the second layer really worthwhile? The area that this applies to is a small second roof space which I'm not interested in boarding.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You can cover your joists if you like. The stuff is permeable so the joists can still breathe. The only problem with this will appear if you (or somebody else) ever needs to crawl around in there.

If this is likely to be a problem you can add extra timbers across the joists (only needed in those areas where you will need to crawl) before you put the insulation in. If you are likely to need regular access, cap these with any old slabs of chipboard - like smashed up kitchen units - that you can find.

Thanks felix. To avoid the possibility of falling through the ceiling at a later date, i'll follow your advice and raise the joist level along one side.

post locked to prevent hi jacking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back