Loft insulation - mixed material

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Going to re-insulate my loft shortly and wanted to make sure there aren't any major issues with my plan . . .

Roof joists are 100mm deep and about 40% of the loft will be boarded for storage. I intend to insulate under the boarded area (between the joists) with 100mm Kingspan tp10 or similar which gives me a u value of about
0.23 and lay some insulated loft boards across the joists to beef it up near to 0.16

The other 60% of the loft, I'm going to cover with 100mm Thermafleece batts between the joists and another 100mm wool roll across the joists. This gives me a u value of about 0.19. Can't really afford another layer but it's close enough to 0.16 to not make a great deal of difference.

Does this all sound OK? I really don't want Brutish Gas or death-wool anywhere near my loft.

Sponsored Links
Hey,

i'm insulating my loft/attic now too. Got the windows install two weeks ago so it going to be a proper room eventually. I'm also using the Kingspan tp10. Have you begun to install it yet? Its really easy to use as long as your joists are uniform, otherwise theres a lot of shaving and resizing.

My joists differ in about 20-30mil one to the next and 5mil top to bottom. im a complete novice at this but its going well. If you've never used the kingspan before, the best thing to use is a jigsaw to cut the insulation. Also, if your going to board some of it, you may aswell go the whole lot. You'll end up doing it later I think anyway.

I'll let you know how I got on.

Good luck with yours!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back