Insulation stops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im installing insulation, (90mm celotex) between rafters (140mm) and attempting to leave a 50mm air gap at the top. I was going to screw a 50mm batten in level with the top of the rafters.

Anyone got any other suggestions to speed things up/reduce cost? One suggestion I had was to just you screws protruding out ?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is the 50mm for ventilation or just to let the membrane drape downwards a little? Are you going to board the rafters inside?

You can get special celotex clips that will keep things flush, or just rely on friction fitting and gravity to keep the gap clear

Also, your 50mm batten doesn't have to be continuous, you can just put a block in at either end of each sheet assuming everything is just about straight.

Its just for ventilation, wasn't planning on boarding the rafters. I will lay 25mm over the rafters then plasterboard out.

Relying on the fact that if its level at the front is ok enough but if i push it to far in not sure i can get it out again! Ill have a look at the clips but bet they cost more than screws!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes as said since you're boarding then nothing is going to fall out and gravity will keep the gap above

When you do this how do you fill the tiny millimetre gaps between the rafter and insulation board? Is there a very fine foam filler?

What about for when it's not so snug, or is he expected to miraculously align his cuts with his inconsistently spaced rafters?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back