Warm roof insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just purchased Celotex WR4000 150mm thick and plan to put this between the rafters in a new extension, I would then like to leave a 50mm gap from the Celotex to the underside of the rafters, with Celotex PL4025 fixed to the rafters underneath. The 50mm gap will provide me with a gap for cable runs etc for lighting and also provide a sufficient void for ceiling spotlights to fit.

Is the 50mm gap between the XR4000 and the PL4025 acceptable and conform to regulations or should there be no gap at all between the two?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
On a flat roof installation a warm roof requires you have an air gap.

This was the only time I heard the phrase "warm roof" that's why I asked.

On a flat roof installation a warm roof requires you have an air gap.

No, that is incorrect

Are you sure about that?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=flat+roof+warm+deck&tbm=isch&
tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=PlG2Ucz8G87EPOezgIgO&ved=0CFIQsAQ&
biw=1266&bih=881#facrc=_&imgrc=hr-sVRu1u6GL_M
%3A%3BP4HpHDUpE_nxTM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.arrowroofing.i
m%252Fimages%252Fjpg%252FInformation%252FWarm_Roof_FlatRoof_L.p
ng%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.arrowroofing.im%252FInformation_
Roofing_Terminology_Flat_WarmRoof.html%3B800%3B600

I was told by the architech that I had to maintain the air gap between the roof boards and the plasterboard to ensure it was a warm roof, I wanted to save room and put the Celotex between the joist but he assured me this would make it a cold roof.

I was told by the architech that I had to maintain the air gap between the roof boards and the plasterboard to ensure it was a warm roof, I wanted to save room and put the Celotex between the joist but he assured me this would make it a cold roof.

There's the space between the plasterboard and the roofing board fitted top and bottom of the joists. The warm roof insulation and capping is on top of that without air gaps.
I take it that's what you mean, so no-one is on drugs in this instant.

A warm roof is not vented.

A warm roof does not have an air gap.

A warm has the insulation wholly above the rafters not between.

A warm roof is not vented.

A warm roof does not have an air gap.

A warm has the insulation wholly above the rafters not between.

I concur.

Warm = no gap. The entire deck is made up on top of the joists stacked one on top of the other, ply insulation, deck and roof covering.

Air gaps and insulation between are indicative of its brother the cold roof, which brings you into tricky ventilation territory.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back