insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
I need to insulate a 15 mm. copper pipe feeding a bib cock in the garden.
1) Are all CFC free pipe insulations suitable for outside or when i buy it should i mention it?
2) How thick should the insulation be for the above pipe? Thank you 4 your advice.

Sponsored Links
Climaflex or similar rigid foam. the B.S. grade which looks as thick as your arm. You ned to fasten it in tightly, use cable ties or something and nip off the excess

However insulation only slows down heat loss, so in time it will freeze (given frosty weather) so provide the facility to drain it in winter

Climaflex or similar rigid foam. the B.S. grade which looks as thick as your arm. You ned to fasten it in tightly, use cable ties or something and nip off the excess

However insulation only slows down heat loss, so in time it will freeze (given frosty weather) so provide the facility to drain it in winter
Hi John thanks 4 your reply.
I made a search on the web and apparently for a 15 mm. pipe to be run outside i would need a 27 mm thick insulation so as you said it is quite thick.
As the pipe runs through the wall before getting outside, do i have to use the same insulation thickness through the wall as well? If so, that would mean that i have to drill a 70 mm. hole in the wall at least (27mm each side of the pipe adds up to 54 mm. plus 15 mm. for the pipe diameter adds up to 69mm.)!!!!!!!!! that sounds a bit excessive to me, what do you think????

you ought to insulate it to the same quality until it is well inside the heated area of the house. I suppose the winter drain cock will be inside, too, and you need a bit of a slope so the water will run out.

Yes, the BS stuff is startlingly thick.

Buy it before you hire or buy your core-drill so you have the finished size. I think it would be OK for it to be a tight fit in the wall to prevent draughts and pull-out. It is more secure if you slide it onto the pipe like a condom than if you slit it.

If I were you I think I would use polypipe rather than copper for that job, but I have no experience of it. It might be more resistant to freezing and is slightly flexible. I have an idea if you run hot water through it, it goes softer, so you can straighten it out from the coil and run it neatly. You can buy a long coil of it so need no joints for the average garden tap.

Sponsored Links
It is more secure if you slide it onto the pipe like a condom than if you slit it.
You don't slit yours?! :eek:

...polypipe... I have an idea if you run hot water through it, it goes softer, so you can straighten it out from the coil and run it neatly.
Er, no - hot water doesn't make plastic pipe go soft in the way that you're thinking.

It is more secure if you slide it onto the pipe like a condom than if you slit it.

...polypipe... I have an idea if you run hot water through it, it goes softer, so you can straighten it out from the coil and run it neatly.
Er, no - hot water doesn't make plastic pipe go soft in the way that you're thinking.
Thank u 4 the advice you all

Thank u 4 the advice you all
BTW should i seal the hole with fire resistant material on the outside of the wall? If that is the case, should i insulate the pipe through the wall from the inside just 10mm. before the outside of the wall, seal the hole outside and then insulate the remaining length of pipe on the outside of the building?

pesonally I would just push it tightly through the wall.

the makers website may say what you should do. I would hope it is fire retardant as widely used in building.

pesonally I would just push it tightly through the wall.

the makers website may say what you should do. I would hope it is fire retardant as widely used in building.
thanks again John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back