insulting a 100mm wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, part of the outer walls are just 100mm (one brick thick). what i really want to do is add insulation to it on the inside , but im really tight for space. what i was going to do is build a stud partition using 50mm x 50mm timber ,fixing a 6mm sheet of ply to the back, leaving 20mm gap behind it.then filling in between with celotex and the use vapour plasterboard on the surface. i need to do stud work as it needs to support a false ceiling (not a large one 1.5m span). do anyone think thats the way to go .

Sponsored Links
Any insulation added to the wall will be an improvement, whether it will satisfy your needs is a different matter.

You could cut down on space by fixing say an insulation backed plasterboard directly to the masonry (adhesive ,foam etc) or at least fix 25mm battens and screw to these. There is no need for a gap.

P.S 100mm thick walls are deemed 1/2 brick thick.

Sponsored Links
sorry for the spelling mistake. feel like a right idiot. back to question. dont really want to use insulated plasterboard as i need to support a false ceiling and thought a partition ideal , allowing joists of some kind to rest on the top.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back