Insults! P'ah

C

calorific

I read yesterday about how some people contacted the BBC to complain about stereotyping and a couple of other things on a new "comedy" (Citizen Khan).
Today there's some furore about Edwina Currie tweeting about some disabled people (the Italian team are "gorgeous, even in wheelchairs).

I'm coming to the conclusion that third-party people who are offended or insulted by a potentially glib remark must be stupid.

Note, I refer to bystanders and not a particular recipient; I say this since I kind of expect to be given abuse on here at which I may be offended or insulted. It would seem completely ridiculous for someone to take umbrage on my behalf, which is precisely my point.

Sponsored Links
So..........any comment is acceptable as long as it isn't directed at us?

Is The vicar of Dibley stereotypical of all female vicars?
Is Last of the summer wine stereotypical of all Yorkshiremen?
Is Fawlty Towers stereotypical of all hoteliers?
Is On the buses stereotypical of all bus drivers?

Maybe they are, maybe not but once the face is a different colour you have to expect trouble from busy-bodies. The main actor Adil Ray, created the programme himself so it obviously didn't bother him too much. Personally I didn't watch it because I saw the trailer and thought it was cr*p.

People just complain for the sake of complaining.

What annoys me, is the people who are easily offended by something, so what!.....be offended!!

Steve Hughes the comedian said the same thing, and its 100% true!

Sponsored Links
That's not the point I'm making.

Suppose I called you a brainless numpty on here. Others may think that me do this is unwise, misguided or even downright rude. It is not within their remit to actually be offended or insulted though.

Its like those that go to Jiimmy Carr shows, he tells often shocking, horrific jokes, thats what he is famous for.

You go along, laugh at the fat jokes, the sexist jokes, the racist jokes, the rape jokes but then get offended because he tells a disability joke and your disabled?

You cannot claim the moral high ground stating comedians cannot tell a certain type of joke if you have been laughing along to all the other bad taste jokes.

It makes me laugh.

Jimmy Carr, the tax dodger ?

Shame on him then...dodging his taxes and then making jokes about the disabled. Some people.

That's not the point I'm making.

Suppose I called you a brainless numpty on here. Others may think that me do this is unwise, misguided or even downright rude. It is not within their remit to actually be offended or insulted though.

Ah I see your confusion. Your issue is with your literal interpretation of the word. allow me to explain.

When the media describe complainers as being offended by a comment, it means simply that the complainer found the comment unacceptable. There is no requirement for a nerve to be struck, ie fatties complaining about fat jokes. Hope this helps.

iirc Bernard manning was doing a show in his club,and a person with dark skin decided to pay a visit to the loo,WELL big mistake,apparently all evening this chap was having the rise taken out of him.at the end of the show they met up in the bar and Bernard bought him a drink and explained it couldve been anyone he choose but as he stood up it was him,the chap said it was the funniest show he had ever been to and bore no grudges about him.

the press on the other hand slated Bernard manning and were calling for him to be hung drawn and quartered .
when the true story came out there was no apology,
same thing happened to jim davidson after playing to a bunch of squaddies (paras)press slated him,paras had a great evening and were full of praise for him.this in turn though done a lot of damage to jim's career.

which is a shame because he was 1 comedian i really wanted to see.

my youngest was born with club feet,at 1 of his school sports(participation days :rolleyes: )he attempted to run in a race,he was last but he didnt give up,everyone was giving his encouragement,i was shouting at him,RUN FOREST RUN.and had a chap come up to me complaining i shouldnt be saying things like that etc.WE VERY NEARLY CAME TO BLOWS.i politely told him to go away very quickly.
now my boy was laughing because thats how we as a family treat him(to have a back bone)and not be a victim.the teachers are aware of it so are a lot of the other parents.
so what was this guys problem????
a busy body who just wanted to interfere?or someone who takes the moral high ground and is the type of person who will complain over everything and anything?

iirc Bernard manning was doing a show in his club,and a person with dark skin decided to pay a visit to the loo,WELL big mistake,apparently all evening this chap was having the rise taken out of him.at the end of the show they met up in the bar and Bernard bought him a drink and explained it couldve been anyone he choose but as he stood up it was him,the chap said it was the funniest show he had ever been to and bore no grudges about him.

Went to see him once and the guy picked on for going to the toilet was a young (white) lad with long hair.

Very bizzare evening, support acts were straight off the Northern club circuit. Ferrets going down legs and that sort of thing.

Ferrets going down legs and that sort of thing.

That's a normal evening for me. :LOL:

Ah I see your confusion. Your issue is with your literal interpretation of the word. allow me to explain.

When the media describe complainers as being offended by a comment, it means simply that the complainer found the comment unacceptable. There is no requirement for a nerve to be struck, ie fatties complaining about fat jokes. Hope this helps.
They should word it as such then.

Sponsored Links
Back