Interest only, how does solid fuel vary when used in a boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I see the fire being lit with an oily rag, first with some old wood, and then with some black stuff, and I know how the boiler is stoked depends on the black stuff, with Welsh steam coal being the best, but with the mines closing other produces are being used, I here Polish coal is no good, and they have been using compressed coal dust, as briquets, but there seems to be a lot of un-burnt fuel landing on the carriages, and seen the train having to stop to get steam up again.

It seems it can work, but works different, where the fire needs stoking changes with different fuels, I don't have the energy any more to become a fireman, so hearing third hand, so maybe some one can explain how different fuels can be used? I know railway engines can run on oil and wood, but what is involved, don't want to see the end of steam, so what is involved?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back