Painting/renovating a solid fuel fireplace.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into an older house and moving onto renovating my main living room. It contains a working solid fuel fire (chimney cleaned and fire lit over the winter). It's the old open type coal fire.

Fireplace is horrible looking and although I could of course replace it, I am looking into the possibility of painting it. It can only fit a 48 inch replacement and options in that size are limited (54 inch and up seems to be standard).

Surround is wood - so no issue there. Inset is tiles that meet the fire. The tiles and surround are in good condition, as is the hearth. No broken or damaged parts.

Concern is my options regarding appropriate paint. I have read different things. Some say that only heat resistant paint can be used (only available in black or silver) and others state that other types of paints (wider colour range) can be used.

Is their an industry standard/safety guide as to my options or approach to this?

Sponsored Links
Heat resistant paints are available in numerous colours.

https://www.frost.co.uk/high-temperature-paints/

You might want to look at automotive high temperate paints, used to spray car engines and exhausts.

The above, or another supplier, should be able to offer advice with regards to preparation and any undercoats.

A friend has a gas fire in a tiled surround that was (I think) red quarry tile.
He painted it with a flat black paint over ten years ago and it looks fine
I can't comment on the colour options available

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back