Interesting pub quiz question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The jury is out on this one in work...lets see if any of you interlectuals have an angle on it...

The question was..if a soldier gets married with three stripes on his arm on his wedding day..what rank is he?

Obviously Sargeant was too obvious and the given answer was infact a corporal..apparently the army make the guys rank up for the day

Does anyone have any knowledge of this ?

Sponsored Links
As far as i am aware no they dont . you need to find out where other stripe comes from. or is it a particular regiment

Not sure about receiving another stripe for getting married, being decorated would be more fitting. :LOL:

In some of the cavalry regiments, they have additional stripes compared to the main army ones for the same rank. The reason/s for this is/are in my brain somewhere, but I can't remember at the mo.

Never heard of the "made up for a day" angle.

Sponsored Links
did it specifically say stripes, or did it say bands?

2 bands for a corporal and a third one on his finger.. the wedding band

If a corporal was to marry a lance corporal...... Or a lance corporal marries a corporal.... Or a sergeant marries a private.... Or a private marries a sergeant..... :confused:

The definitive answer:

All corporals in the Foot Guards are automatically appointed Lance Sergeant (wearing three chevrons) and lance corporals wear two chevrons. The Household Cavalry maintains the old cavalry tradition of having no rank of sergeant, which was originally an infantry rank only. It has its own peculiar set of insignia and ranks with the following equivalents:

Staff Corporal = Staff Sergeant: Four chevrons, point up and worn on the lower sleeve, with metal crown above
Corporal of Horse = Sergeant: Three chevrons, with metal crown above
Lance Corporal of Horse = Lance Sergeant (Corporal): Three chevrons, with cloth crown above
Lance Corporal: Two chevrons, with cloth crown above.
Similarly, warrant officer appointments are different, with, for example, Regimental Corporal Major being used in place of Regimental Sergeant Major. Uniquely, non-commissioned officers and warrant officers of the Household Cavalry do not wear any insignia on their full dress uniforms (although officers do). Rank is indicated by a system of aiguillettes.

Some interesting theories here..I will return with the full question..perhaps they have made a mistake..

Sponsored Links
Back