Interface between kitchen tiles and wallpaper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen is tiled between work surfaces high-level cupboards. There is a window above the sink unit, with no high-level cupboards, so the tiling stops halfway up the window.

I'm now repainting and papering the kitchen. What's the correct way to interface between tiles and paper? I've removed the grout fillets around the edges of the tiled areas whilst stripping the wallpaper because the grout had been applied on top of the wallpaper (new kitchen units and tiles professionally installed about a year ago), and was quite soft.

Should I now reinstate the grout fillets before papering, or should I paper down to the top of the tiles, and then apply a fillet of grout on top of the paper? My feeling is that grout first is the correct way -- am I right, please?

Sponsored Links
I would grout after you paper..getting a neat cut onto the grout is going to be hard.

OK. And masking tape (test it first) on the paper so I don't make a mess with the grout.

Thanks Zampa.

Make sure you use low tack masking tape if you do..personally I reckon youl still need to run a spong over it after because the tape will cause you to have a slight ridge..myself, I would just grout it..if its vinyl it will be fine anyway.

Sponsored Links
I have been hacking my kitchen about, and discovered that the tiles had been glued to the wallpaper (then grouted afterwards) :rolleyes:

Good thing the wallpaper was well-glued :eek:

I don't have that problem -- I've had the house since new and I know the tiles went on a bare wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back