Window Ledge Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The missus wants the kitchen doing up. Of course, this means work for me. It is the first time I have tackled a Kitchen and whilst not the professional job I envisaged, it isn't looking too bad.

Anyway, I am now onto tiling. Since it is only a 3-tile high row around the kitchen from the worktop, i havent used battens or plumblines, but the job is a good one.
Whilst removing the tiles on the windowledge, the grout has come away (in patches) leaving the stuff underneath behind. The stuff underneath is dark and gritty so I am assuming it isn't plaster.

Some of the grout isn't coming away, so I am in for a hard time removing it. Add to the the fact that some of the stuff underneath has come away too means that I am thinking it may not be an easy job.

What is the stuff underneath the grout, cement?
Has the grout and some of the windowledge come away due to damp? If so, is there anything I should worry about with the tiles or is this just one of those areas subject to the occasional bout of dampness?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Gaz

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back