Intergas Combi Hot Water Problem - solved

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have benefitted a lot from posts on this forum and all the helpful advice from professional fitters - so just wanted to post a solution to a problem I fixed in case anyone else is experiencing it.

We had a problem with our Intergas Combi boiler (a brilliant boiler BTW). The pressure level was flashing at 0.3 - but wouldn't seem to go up even on filling (and checking that radiators were full upstairs even when CH was cold). So we kind of knew that the pressure sensor was faulty. I didn't bother changing it initially but just bought a £10 gauge from Toolstation and connected it to the drain plug and checked that cold pressure was around 1.2bar.

Everything was working fine but then we noticed that if we stayed in the shower for more than 2 minutes the water would go cold for 30 seconds and then heat up again. (The boiler was showing a code of "1" when this happened, indicating that the DHW temperature had been reached). We tried increasing the DHW temp in the settings to see if that was problem but that didn't work.

I figured it might have been the DHW temperature sensor but decided to change the CH water pressure sensor first. I just did that and it fixed the problem.

I thought it was worth sharing as it is clearly a software decision the boiler makes based on the reading on the pressure gauge. What had initially confused me was that these combis can be used as DHW only units - so I didn't think that the pressure reading from the sensor would be a problem. But I guess that *if it is configured to be a CH and DHW* unit then it monitors the pressure. (I did find a small comment in the manual that the DHW needs 0.5 bar). So clearly the control board does something to interrupt the DHW when the pressure is reading low to stop it overheating or something. Even though the DHW temperature sensor reading is still OK.

Thought that was worth sharing - in case anyone else has it.

Sponsored Links
Well done on finding and fixing the fault (although why this wasn't done by Intergas under warranty is another question), I hope that having entered the room sealing chamber of the boiler that you carried out the 26.9 checks before putting the boiler back into operation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back