Interim gutter repair ideas

Right, I have been back up this morning quickly, went to see if the swan neck could be easily adjusted and the entire down pipe nearly came off the wall.

So full replacement it is!

I’ll have to wait till tomorrow as that’s the first time I can get another pair of hands to help me lift the current down pipe off (I’d like to just give it a cowboy push but there’s nowhere for it to land that won’t give me another job to do).

So today will be ordering parts. For completeness, thought I’d add a pick of the previous repair at the bottom too as that looks like another thing that I’ll have to work around.

Attachments

• 3DC82D16-1391-4139-94CD-DFE240829AE3.jpeg
    3DC82D16-1391-4139-94CD-DFE240829AE3.jpeg
    434.7 KB · Views: 41
Sponsored Links
Thanks - sounds good - how would I free the swan neck from the socket?
It'll be a putty joint . A little bit of digging and it'll free off. If the swan neck is indeed cracked just order a replacement .. cast maintained will out last anything else you can buy .

Right, I have been back up this morning quickly, went to see if the swan neck could be easily adjusted and the entire down pipe nearly came off the wall.

So full replacement it is!

I’ll have to wait till tomorrow as that’s the first time I can get another pair of hands to help me lift the current down pipe off (I’d like to just give it a cowboy push but there’s nowhere for it to land that won’t give me another job to do).

So today will be ordering parts. For completeness, thought I’d add a pick of the previous repair at the bottom too as that looks like another thing that I’ll have to work around.
cast downpipes are chuffing heavy -especially up a ladder

be careful!

Sponsored Links
cast maintained will out last anything else you can buy .
But the cost will be stupid. From what I can see, if properly installed, plastic can last a life time and easier to work with, just the sort of thing for a DIYer with alum tower.

Says the man who can't even replace a simple plastic gutter bracket lol
I don't do the unnecessary, unlike you. Even though you can see the OP's pipes are rusted to hell - to the point of needing mastic rescue, you'd still tell him to get some more. That's not necessary.

I don't do the unnecessary, unlike you.
I do what's right. I don't encourage bodges.
This gutter could be made like new with very little expense. The chap is looking for a quick fix at this time I and another have simply pointed out things are not that bad and certainly salvageable easily.
You just simply bodge things up repeatedly and then expect every one to give you a medal. I pity the poor person that gets your house after you have gone .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back