Guttering workmanship

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if anyone might be kind enough to advise me. I’ve just paid to have new fascias, gutters and downpipes installed. I chose a local roofer based on positive online reviews. They've almost finished and will be back next week to finish off. I’ve been looking over what they’ve done so far and am worried about the work. I don’t want to be unreasonably fussy but also don’t want to leave serious problems, so was hoping to get some opinions on whether my criticisms/concerns below are real and serious issues that I should reasonably expect to be put right, or whether I should just lower my expectations and not worry. The gutters and downpipes are all done in plastic square fittings. My issues are:

1) Several of the gutters don’t fall toward the downpipe, meaning that water pools in the gutter. There is pooling of up to 2.5cm deep, but not enough to overflow (with a clean gutter).

2) Half of the swan necks have been assembled with spigot pointing up and socket pointing down. I don’t know if this is usual but seems odd to me – when I pour water in the top, it dribbles out of the seems.

3) In a couple of places the gutter finishes up to 13 cm short of the tiles.

4) One of the downpipe is off vertical by 5 cm over a 2m drop, which catches my eye. The downpipe that it replaced was vertical. They’ve misaligned the top with the drain below and so had to bring the downpipe out off line to compensate.

5) One of the downpipes ends at a bare patch of concrete with no drain. To be fair, this was also the case before, but was one of the issues that I’d asked them to look at, and they said they’d take it to a drain at the opposite end. I guess they concluded that it wasn’t an issue but am unsure whether to trust this. The concrete is flat but there is a manhole cover about 60cm away that deep water wound find.

I’d be very grateful for any advice, particularly if any of these are non-issues or if some are more serious than others.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Incompetant cowboys, hope you haven't paid them yet? Get them to do the job properly, with correct falls on gutter and down pipes the right way up as they were designed to be. You seem to have more idea of how it should be done, than they have.

Thanks for your time in replying. I'm very puzzled, since the company has got lots of 5 star reviews on trusted trader. Also they've put photos of the work on my house on their trusted trader page and asked me to write a review. I guess I'll see what they say, but didn't want to pick a fight over trivia.

Is it reasonable to insist that all of the points I listed are corrected?

Thank you again.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your time in replying. I'm very puzzled, since the company has got lots of 5 star reviews on trusted trader. Also they've put photos of the work on my house on their trusted trader page and asked me to write a review. I guess I'll see what they say, but didn't want to pick a fight over trivia.

That is where all the cowboys hang out, sorry to have to say. I do hope you haven't paid them yet, but I suspect they will have demanded money before starting?

Is it reasonable to insist that all of the points I listed are corrected?

Absolutely, but even a complete amateur wouldn't make mistakes like that - doing such a simple job correctly should be second nature.

They've almost finished and will be back next week to finish off. I’ve been looking over what they’ve done so far and am worried about the work. I don’t want to be unreasonably fussy
Point it out to them, were the teams that did the work contracted in by the main supplier - I had a roofing firm do a lot of work, fascia & gutter and part of roof, and had a few issues like you , with lead work on gully and drain pipe not square. I simply documented it all 1 day and talked to the business owner , who put everything right. I had about 20 different points in my snagging list - I had also made comments during the work, which were also resolved.
He did not have an issue and apart from 1 point , which we discussed and could do little about , he fixed everything else. In fact one of the team was nolonger contracted by him as a result. We had about 6 teams of 2 over 3 weeks no break - which i insisted as part of contract - every working day, in fact inthe end i insisted on 1 particular guy to be here all the time, who did an excellent job and oversaw the others - New Flat roof, lower part of Roof taken off and insulated fascia soffit gutter replaced, new bit of gutter across the front of the house - which did not exist before , this is the bit that fills at the far end and cannot be re-rooted. Existing outside light was broken, which was replaced.

SO yes mention it all and see what reaction you get , that will help you decide on a 5* or 1* rating
Ratings/reviews are very important these days and on most sites cannot be filtered and not put up. Trustpilot, Checkatrade , etc as you know , as it was part of your criteria
I chose a local roofer based on positive online reviews.

Last edited:
Point it out to them, were the teams that did the work contracted in by the main supplier - I had a roofing firm do a lot of work, fascia & gutter and part of roof, and had a few issues like you , with lead work on gully and drain pipe not square.

I think you are reading more into this 'company' than they deserve, these are not minor snags. Reading what the OP has described, I would suspect them to be irresponsible itinerants. A responsible experienced company doesn't make the silly and basic errors which these guys have made. The description of the guttering and fall pipes suggests, that it will all have to come down and be reinstalled from scratch.

Thanks everyone. I'll try speaking with them. I hardly feel I need to ask, but they've made the box ends using two pieces which just but against each other with a horizontal seam (I assume they didn't have a big enough piece). I presume this is a major issue too?

Harry Bloomfield commented that trusted trader is where the cowboys hang out. Any suggestions where to go to find reputable people in future? I don't (and in this case didn't) just go for the cheapest quote every time. I've previously been very disappointed with (spent ages putting right the mess myself) both a kitchen fitter and electrician that came from direct recommendations. We've just moved to a new house and new area and I just want to be able to pay honest people for honest work, for roofing and various other bits that need doing (and my wife isn't patient enough to wait for me to do myself). I'd be very grateful for any suggestions since I'm feeling both gutted and also lost.

Thank you.

Thanks everyone. I'll try speaking with them. I hardly feel I need to ask, but they've made the box ends using two pieces which just but against each other with a horizontal seam (I assume they didn't have a big enough piece). I presume this is a major issue too?

Difficult to visualise from your description, but there are properly manufactured parts for everything needed for soffits, gutters and fascias. There should be little need to botch anything.

Harry Bloomfield commented that trusted trader is where the cowboys hang out. Any suggestions where to go to find reputable people in future?

Certainly keep away from the Trusted Trader type of site because they are open to anyone to become members, all the member need do is pay the site owner for the lead and get a few friends to write up glowing reviews, bad reviews are simply deleted. They no longer go door to door touting for work, they do it via these sites. Only rarely do you find genuine, honest traders on those sites, because the genuine ones do not usually need more work - they are already inundated. Many local councils keep a list of recommended tradesmen who can be relied upon, it is suggested that council lists take complaints seriously.

The ones you have to wait at least 2-3 months before they can start any work.

Maybe not that long a wait, but usually instant ability to attend means they are sat around with nowt to do - then you have to wonder why.

1) Several of the gutters don’t fall toward the downpipe, meaning that water pools in the gutter. There is pooling of up to 2.5cm deep, but not enough to overflow (with a clean gutter).

I remember when I fitted my new fascias + soffits + gutters, doing the research before even thinking of starting the job, particularly the correct angle of slope for gutters, so they would work properly. Too steep, or not steep enough and debris is built up in the gutters. Next door installed by 'pros' has a slope of around 3" over 25 feet, with a shared fall pipe front an rear. They had botched a very poor leaking joints between our half round and there new square gutters, which rather forced me into replacing our not that old guttering with new.

The correct slope for gutters is 1/4" over 10 feet, with plenty of support brackets. I fixed one bracket next to the fall pipe, then the other at the far end, the correct amount higher. I then ran a string line between them, to get the correct height for the intermediate brackets, one every second joist end. All fixed with stainless steel screws and pins. I worked with the help of grandson, working from just one very heavy double extension ladder, using rope to hoist and support the far end of the long parts up to the height needed. All done in a long (three day) weekend, front and back, including fall pipes. I just couldn't find a professional installer I could trust, to make a professional job of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back