Interior beading rusting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we are about to have our rendering fixed outside after we noticed some cracks and signs of damp inside. The damp has clearly affected some steel beading around the inside of the windows on the same wall as I have just noticed some rust colour creeping through the paint.

Any idea on the cheapest and least invasive way of fixing it? We've only just finished decorating the opposite wall which needed treatment for rising damp!

Sponsored Links
Don't mess about with rendering unless you sort the damp issue.

It will make your damp far worse - and it'll fall off when it freezes in winter.

Sorry, not sure I understand....as i understood it, the damp was caused by the problems with the rendering. So fixing the rendering should fix the damp. Is that not right?

Sponsored Links
Not at all low - about 4-5ft up. Visible damp is round window corresponding with clear crack in rendering on outside around same window. .

If your corner beads have rusted you should by sanding remove the rust deposits and apply one or two coats of a thinned oil based undercoat, this should stop the staining.

Dec

Think about it. There are 20 million houses in the UK with NO rendering at all. Do they have damp issues? Nope. So what makes you think a bit of a crack in the render is giving you all the hassle? Your problem is water getting behind the render and freezing in winter - and blowing the render off. It'll do the same next winter if you don't sort it. You contractors must be **** if they don't know that. Maybe they don't really care.
Post a pic in the plastering forum.

The contractor has advised us, as you said, that water is getting in behind the rendering and has blown it. It is not sealed behind a pipe and tgere is a gap at the top where again it is not sealed. He is going to remove and redo a whole section to stop that happening. He also believes that the big crack has made it worse in the particular patch inside.

My question actually related to the interior decoration - grateful if anyone has any suggestions as, notwithstanding different opinions regarding whether sorting out the rendering is the right option, I will still need to sort that out.

Well why didn't you say that in the first place. :rolleyes:

You'll need to re-plaster the damaged area inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back