Interior bifold doors - Can I make one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, does anyone know if I can create an internal bifold door by buying unfinished doors and the the appropriate ironmongery?

Sponsored Links
Hello, Yes you can I was going to do this, but in the end managed to get 3m wide internal set second hand.
There is not much to the system, track at the top, guide in the floor, hinges, rollers and guide pins.

The weight of your doors and span will dictate the choice of track kit.
This might give you a start.

Henderson bifold bits

Yes, you can.
Solid wood it's easier, but even the hollow ones can be cut in half, reinforced at the edges and adapted.
The reasonably priced 4 and 6 panels are the easiest to cut in half without having to care much about the joints, if at all.
Once cut, fit the hinges perfectly aligned so the two halfs are lined up top, bottom and along the edge of course.
Then fit the door as it was one piece.
I don't bother with top and bottom track kits, they're ugly and expensive.
I use a hardwood dowel in the lock side top and a groove in the frame, or even a square strip of wood fixed to the frame to accommodate the sliding dowel.
Regular squirt of silicone oil keeps everything going smooth.

Then if you're talking about a wide opening, over 32 inches, you need to follow Mr Chibs advice.

Sponsored Links
general comments
a door will only fold at perhaps 90% if the halves are uneven by perhaps 10-20mm
the more uneven, the further back it will fold 'indeed if both halves are identical the folded door wont reach 90% before it hits the architrave also door furniture will stop it folding flat

Ive just bought 2, 2 door bifold oak doors from Facebook marketplace. So I need to make one door using 3 of the panels. Thank you for all of the tips :)

Gaps around the top, bottom and between the door leafs may be an issue. Noise, odour, smoke.

i made a set - 2 pairs that covered a large gap between rooms

i purchased 4 unfinished doors - which where much smaller in width then standard doors - those where the days when a lot of sheds had doors - and various specilist shops existed - this was back in the late 80's

worked well and lasted , until we moved out 5 years later

so YES , i'm not trade just a DIYer , and managed OK

The answer is yes but a lot depends on your own skills, or carpenter's.

I built a three leaf door set about 10 years ago. In those days they were awful contraptions with a lower guide rail which ruined the continuity of the floor. I used three off the shelf doors and some bifold door hardware so the leafs could fold completely flat against each other and hung the lot from a rail hidden inside the door frame. I put seals on the sides of each leaf, one all along the inside of the frame, and brush seals on the bottom. There are two flush drop bolts that hold in in place which means only the keep plates are visible on the floor when the door's fully open.

Gaps around the top, bottom and between the door leafs may be an issue. Noise, odour, smoke.
indeed even light pollution as you get a say 2-3mm gap often a piano hinge although not the nicest will stop light and reduce airflow
you also have to think about the fold in the door it now wont shut and hold on a normal hinge or catch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back