Interior door painting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to paint our interior doors using an satin finish. At the moment these doors are finished with some sort of melamine and completely flat, no mouldings at all, so I need to make sure my finish is at good as possible. I have excluded applying paint with a brush, thought about a roller but now wonder if best tool would be an pad, which I have never tried before! Advise / tips appreciated regarding paint type and tools. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Yes I do what Gregers said i use a small gloss roller to get the paint evenly on the door, and then lightly using long even strokes use a good quality brush to finish, as you somtimes get bubble marks with the rollers....

Good luck :)

Thanks for advise, I am thinking of using one of the primer/undercoat all in one paints followed by an satin top coat. Sensible? Gloss finish is not what we are after.

Sponsored Links
If your going to use Acryic paint as opposed to Oil based I have encountered problems with the Acrylic chipping very easily dependant upon the type of doors construction. i.e what it's made of. As previous posts ,gloss rollers will give you the best finish.

Thanks Dave1953, yes I will stick with an oil based satin finish paint. Can you tell me what is an 'Gloss roller' made of? sponge, short hair, long hair or some other material. I don't know what to look for TBH.

Hi Mullberry,
Gloss rollers are sponge,you can buy them in any DIY place and they normally come with 2x rollers, handle and paint tray in a pack for about £3 to £4 pounds good luck.

Again thanks Dave, having just recovered from a bit of illness I'm fit and ready to get cracking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back