interior paint bubbling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Just brought a new house, decided to paint the hallway, and the tester pots I have used have all bubbled up (its just matt emusion). There is no damp problem, its more like the paints are incompatible and will not stick together properly.

Tried stripping the first layer of paint off, and have now been left with a very uneven surface to paint as well as the problem with the reactive areas where I have not been able to strip it all off properly!

Should I give up and just wall paper, or is it worth trying a very thick layer of basecoat to smooth it out a bit where I have made a crap job stripping it and cover the remaining stubborn bits of paint which reacts so badly with new paint.

Or is there another option!?

(can you tell Im a complete newbie at this DIY malarky?)

Sponsored Links
Is the house brand new ? Is the walls Gyproc or solid walls ? What type emulsion is currently on the walls ? What brand of emulsion is on the walls ? What brand is the tester pots ? How did you apply tester pot emulsion ?

thanks for the reply - to answer the questions:

The house is a 1960s semi.

The walls are solid

I have no idea of the current kind of emusion (in terms of brand)- its matt, and its off white, but beyond that, who knows. There are about 5 layers of paint though (the very bottom one is BRIGHT orange, scary) Its the top layer which reacts badly, the ones underneith are fine to paint over.

The tester pots I used were Dulux and Crown, and I applied them with a paint brush (clean) which I had used to do some cutting in on the walls in the living room.

I am thinking I am going to have to have the wall skimmed (which I really didn't want to have to do)

Is it the last previous coat on the walls that is only bubbling ? i.e. not all of the coatings ?

Sponsored Links
Nope, not all the coatings, just the most recent one. All the others below are fine - which is why I tried to strip it off, but it didnt go that well.

There are loads of reasons how the previous top layer is bubbling. I have personally expereinced this myself. Funny enough there is an bright orange colour on the first coat, hehe. It can happen when Vinyl Silk has been applied to thickly years ago i.e. a long term effect. Anyway, there are is a way of fixing it, and its by applying lining paper, then emulsion over.

Graham and Brown make a really smooth one...nice finish for paint

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back