Intermitent DHW and CH problem cutting out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I hope you can help.

Boiler: Ideal Mini C28

I will try and describe as efficiently as possible.

First of all this problem is intermittent, sometimes the boiler works great and other times its a pain.

So sometimes when running the hot tap, the boiler will fire up and I will start to get hot water, however after a short amount of time the flame goes out in the inspection hole and the light begins to flash quickly and the water goes cold. Sometimes, the flame will ignite again and I will get more hot water for a while. This process will repeat. On bad occasions it will not relite at all. When the flame has gone out you can still hear the pumps/fans whirring.

I've taken a video of what is happening https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-...W5UbVZSSHdDRTg

Other things that may help diagnose and other maybe non-relates issues:

- Turning the boiler off at the plug and leaving it off for a while and then turning it back on SOMETIMES temporally fixes the problem.

-The CH tends to work for much better. However, if it has been on for a long time the same issue can occur - the flame goes out and the light blinks fast. You can still hear the fans/pumps whirring.

-Even when the DHW is working if I put the hot tap on at a decent flow rate the water will never get hot enough (could this mean the heat exchanger plate needs replacing).

From a quick google could it be a faulty thermister?

When we have a gas man out to have a look he can never diagnose it.

Any help much appreciated!

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back