Intermittent Central Heating Failure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve an issue with my central heating/hot water system. The system turns on at the set time, but intermittently the boiler just goes on standby, but never fires up to heat the water. During these failures the pump is running, but is noisier than normal and I can here slight vibration on the pipes upstairs, however, I can’t hear any water running through the system. To fix the problem, I turn the timer off, turn the whole system off and back on and then turn the timer back on. However, this is becoming less and less successful; sometimes I have to do it 3 or 4 times. I did try another trick today, I turned the system off... and found a small silver coloured box next to the hot water tank, which is powered and has a lever... The lever was position roughly in the middle, I pushed it to the right and it moved back on its own to the left. I turned everything back on and it worked.

I think the boiler is OK, It just seems that it’s not getting a supply of water to it so does not fire up.

Any ideas where to start and how to fix?

Thanks,
David

Sponsored Links
Hi, sorry.. my problem is probably a bit open ended, hence no replies. Is there anything I can add to help... or is it simply a plumber job?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
sounds like the synchron motor in your 3 port valve is on its way out (the little silver box that you mentioned) not an expensive repair.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back