Intermittent clicking from Smoke Detector

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just moved into a new (rented) property and the landlord is being supremely unhelpful. I'm hoping someone here may be able to help out!

Anyway, so I have 2 rooms where these units are attached to the ceiling. At random intervals they seem to make quite loud clicking noises (not necessarily at the same time). Sometimes it goes on for hours, every 2 or 3 seconds. Sometimes it stops for several hours.

It's driving me nuts and I'm not sure what to do about it. I'm guessing they're wired units (as opposed to running from batteries) but I haven't checked that yet.

Any idea what causes this? Or what can I do to fix this?

photo2.jpg

Sponsored Links
At the very least, they need cleaning. Ask him when they were last serviced - correctly.

very very old A2Z ionisation (12volt) smoke detectors, linked to a control panel, (intruder alarm panel, not a fire panel).

we used to use these years ago, were pretty good, cleaning them will NOT help as they are ionisation (americurum 241 0000.1% a radioactive substrate) and they are not dangerous to health, unless you eat them!!!!

get your landlord to remove them and fit proper mains powered (with battery back up) smoke detectors.

Oasis

Sponsored Links
Just an "out of curiosity" question - any idea what causes the intermittent clicking? And do you know if they currently function as smoke alarms? I guess the latter would not be able to be answered with certainty...

Dirty and past sell by date.
Probably will not operate when needed either.

All smokes and heats need changing after 10 years regardless. CO detectors after 5.

Depending on the fire panel the detectors can be replaced.
I would expect a full inspection on the system to be sure that either they can be changed or a price for a working system.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and ideas.
The landlord sent the "electrician" round - but he had no idea how to fix this (and looked at it in great puzzlement).
So I simply asked him to switch the off and I've since installed the normal smoke detectors myself!

And in doing so the rest of the property may now be unprotected.
Is it a bedsit/flats or just a separate house?

The landlord sent the "electrician" round - but he had no idea how to fix this (and looked at it in great puzzlement).
So I simply asked him to switch the off and I've since installed the normal smoke detectors myself!

It's a legal requirement for your landlord to fit wired smoke and heat detectors and maintain them....

It's a legal requirement for your landlord to fit wired smoke and heat detectors and maintain them....

That's not entirely true. It depends on the type of property (HMO), how long it has been built and if it has been rewired.

You generally install smokes, as a "Duty Of Care" for your tennants anyway. They don't have to be wired

You generally install smokes, as a "Duty Of Care" for your tennants anyway. They don't have to be wired

LOL jast lot of HMO wireless I came across they were wired wrong ( Although no wired interconnect the smokes were wired to lights and the break glasses battery) and a fire hazard in themselves.
2 of the 4 break glasses were not operating.

If it is rented it HAS to have fire detection AFAIK

LOL jast lot of HMO wireless I came across they were wired wrong ( Although no wired interconnect the smokes were wired to lights and the break glasses battery) and a fire hazard in themselves.
2 of the 4 break glasses were not operating.

If it is rented it HAS to have fire detection AFAIK

Haha, i didn't mean they had to be wireless, Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole :)

All i was meaning was that for a small 1 bedroom flat with no communal hallways or landings a battery powered one would be suffice.

Alarm: Bet that was an interesting find!

And in doing so the rest of the property may now be unprotected.
Is it a bedsit/flats or just a separate house?
It's a 2 bed flat across 2 floors. There are only 2 wired units in the property. One in the lounge (which the kitchen is adjacent to) and one in the one bedroom. I've simply replaced them with non wired units.
I don't know what the fire rules or laws are. But for what it's worth I also have a fire blanket & fire extinguisher (which I'm guessing are also going to be poo-pooed as not good enough). Hey ho.
If worst comes to worst I have a fire station across the road from me (literally).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back