Testing Interlinked Smoke Detectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Three mains powered interlinked smoke detectors with battery backup.

Me: Press test button on one unit, all alarms trigger, job done.

Higher Authority: Press button on each unit, all alarms trigger three times, then job done.

Me: Pressing second and third buttons just tests the buttons since all alarms triggered on first press

Higher Authority: Then why isn't there a button on a wall to press and save reaching up?!

Me: Cos Screwfix don't do them dearest. Can I have a cuppa?

Higher Authority: Yes and make me one too.

So, on the assumption I'm right, I'm thinking detector dumps a voltage to the interlink wire relative to neutral? Optoisolator, box of bits, inhale flux vapour, job done. Anyone got a pointer to a DIY hack? Plan B: buy cheapest interlinked detector from same maunfacturer, cut away unwanted components until I'm left with a mains powered voltage dumper and a button to press.

Sponsored Links
The button simulates the detector part detecting smoke. This means that it tests quite a lot of the internal circuitry, not just the beeper.

The Higher Authority was right... as always :rolleyes:

Plan A+. Use canned smoke, once every 4 months, on each unit in turn.

+1 for Plan C
I believe most of them also double up as "silence all but alarmed sensor" - allowing quick identification of the alarm.

I'm looking at AICO models for when I get the wiring in. IIRC the remote buttons are wireless for those.

But back to the original question. Pressing the button does more than sound the alarm. I assume it also tests (at least some of) the electronics and sensor. So pressing the button on each unit does more than just test the sounder.

Sponsored Links
I seem to remember Aico advising against the use of canned smoke?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back