Intermittent left click

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I don't know if this query is in the right section as some sites seem to suggest the problem could be a software issue, but hopefully someone can advise.

The left button on the touchpad of my laptop (Asus X52F) has started to only work intermittently. It has happened once or twice in the past but has rectified itself within a few hours. However it has been playing up for the last 2 days and as I type is hardly working at all. If I give it a sharp tap it will work but the annoying thing is that it will suddenly start working normally again and then equally as suddenly stop.

If it didn't work at all I would assume it was broken, but, because it works fine sometimes, surely it can't be. :confused:

So far, I have checked the Device Manager which says the pad is working properly and the used the Driver Rollback and Driver Update options, neither of which have made any difference. (I've also tried shouting and swearing at it but that hasn't worked either. :LOL: )

The laptop is only 7 months old and so is still under guarantee but I don't want to take it back/send for repair if there is an embarassingly simple solution! :oops:

Can anyone here help with the problem please?

Cheers,
mrH :(

Sponsored Links
Perhaps a liquid has splashed around that area (like coca-cola) and once dried has acted like a glue and is sticking the button down?

Thanks for the reply Graeme but fortunately (or unfortunately, depending how you look at it) it's nothing like that - I'm a bit paranoid about spilling anything on it so keep everything well clear.

The button is clicking fine and not sticking but doesn't seem to be registering which is why I am unsure as to whether it might be something to do with the software side of things.

As I type this reply it is working fine so it's really confusing.

I'm starting to suspect it's something to do with the Windows Updates that were installed on Thursday and the other times it has occurred may have coincided with updates without me realising. Any suggestions from anyone as to how I could check if this is the case?

Cheers,
mrH :confused:

Might be worth contacting the laptop manufacturer. My wifes Toshiba laptop had a similar problem, but was a noticable sticking of the key.

On phoning, Toshiba stated that it was a known problem and would be rectified free of charge irrespective of the laptop being within guarantee period. They arranged for collection on a Monday by courier. It was trackable all through the process, it went to Germany, via Belgium, and was back on the Friday fully working.

By the way, switches do have a 'lifetime' operation limit, for cheap switches it could be as low as 10,000 operations, but more commonly 5,000,000. Also cheaper switch contacts can be contaminated by insulating oxides giving intermittent operation. This could be likely in your case, where a 'sharp tap' can break this oxide layer and the switch again work. Having worked for a computer manufacturer, I know how they try to save every penny during manufacturer, so do use cheap components.

I would have the switched changed while still under guarantee.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply briancbb

Having worked for a computer manufacturer, I know how they try to save every penny during manufacturer, so do use cheap components.

Somehow that doesn't surprise me! :rolleyes:

My nephew has the same laptop, bought on the same day, and he uses his far more often than me. The fact that his was also the shop floor model makes me doubt it is a 'lifetime limit' thing, but I suppose it could be.

I would have the switched changed while still under guarantee.

I think I'll pop into Currys tomorrow to see what they say and also email the manufacturer in the meantime. It's probably wise to get it sorted sooner rather than later, as you suggest.

Strange thing is, it's been working perfectly since my previous post so I'll feel a bit of a numpty if the shop offer to look at it and it's working fine.

Thanks again.

mrH. :)

Just an update in case anyone has a similar problem in future.

It seems that it is connected to the installation of Windows Updates and I was told by the Techguys at Currys that it is a fairly common problem. I was on the right lines with the 'Rollback Driver' method of solving it. (Found under Device Manager > Mice and other pointing devices.)

I was told to do this again and then restart the computer (which is what I didn't do previously). If the button then worked, I could either leave it or 'Update Driver' again and then restart the computer once more.

That's what I did and the button works fine now. Hopefully it stays that way!!

Cheers,
mrH :)

Back