Intermittent RCD trip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The RCD trips intermittently. Takes the freezer with it!

The three switches are supplied with one supply off the plug mains circuit. and three different light circuits to the outside lights.

I know in wet weather one of the outside lights shorts and trips.

The neutral wire was removed from two switches. One light still works well. The live wires and earth were still all left connected to the switch & the earth wires were wound together.

My thought is actually if it still rains , the faulty outside light gets wet & will trip the RCD , even though the neutral is not connected. As the earth and live are still connected & the RCD will do its job. One neutral is still connected. Am I right ?

For the moment I have disconnected all the wires from the switches and taped them all individually.
Thoughts appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If you are talking about light switches, a black (or blue) core is unlikely to be a neutral.

Thanks for interest . Regrettably disconnecting all the lights didn’t work. Still tripped about five hours later. It’s the kitchen circuit .

Sorry to hijack your thread. I have a similar issue.
It’s intermittent. Have disconnected anything dodgy .suspect its the kitchen circuit throws the RCD , might be one light circuit or another small circuit.
I am trying to get my electrician in , as I neither have nor can use a tester.
Can it be an appliance ? As it’s intermittent can he test easily each machine /light that’s plugged in including dishwashers or fridges or is this all blind man’s bluff ?

Sponsored Links
Have tried disconnecting everything & plugging back in … but intermittent ie over days, so no clear idea .

Finding an Neutral to Earth fault that "randomly" trips an RCD is not a simple task. It requires an electrician to carry out full testing for earth leakage. This normally require full disconnection of the circuit in the consumer unit. Just because the RCD only trips when an appliance ( oven, lamp, immersion ) is turned on does NOT means that appliance is faulty.

Turning OFF the MCB for the faulty circuit will not prevent a load on another circuit tripping the RCD

rcd trip 2022 small.jpg

It is usually water related.

Rain, or a kettle, boiler, washing machine, immersion heater, electric shower...

Sometimes the heating element, especially an oven.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back