Internal door advice please...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having just renovated a couple of rooms I now need new doors to finish them off...all the internal doors will be replaced over the next few months/years.

it's a 1912 victorian house but the doors have been butchered beyond repair - cantre stiles and rails removed and glass fitted...more locks and hinge cut outs than door is left etc etc, so really need new doors.

I want a smooth white painted finish and will be spraying the top coat, but want a decent heavy door for the feel and for the soundproofing.

Is a 'solid core' moulded door basically heavy weight chipboard of the same construction as kitchen countertop?? is this structurally better than a cheaper pine door which is going to take a lot more finishing to get it to a high standard??

Thanks,

Virgil...

Sponsored Links
Cheers guys. bit confised on the plast post though...

not all (fire doors are solid) or

not all door blanks are solid??

will have a trapse round shed and take a look...

Sponsored Links
Any fire door will feel heavier than any non-fire door. When foxhole said fire doors are solid he meant the edges around the panels, gregers is being a bit pedantic (sorry gregers).

I like panelled firedoors, they feel heavy and substantial, and are good for blotting out sound.

You will need three good hinges, preferably lift-off, and almost certainly new door linings to suit. After fixing the linibngs, and before the architracve, use Fire Resistant expanding foam to fill the gaop between lining and door, it will hold it firmly and prevent it shaking loose, as well as blocking draughts or smoke.

Wickes have a good range, but I've seen better prices at Magnet.
You should get a discount if you buy several at a time.
They are available in numerous sizes and styles.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/interior-ti...redoor&_suid=13842752978900014764191545963256
the grained ones are horrible.
You can also get them in veneer.

Any fire door will feel heavier than any non-fire door. When foxhole said fire doors are solid he meant the edges around the panels, gregers is being a bit pedantic (sorry gregers).

wasnt meant too.:oops:

some fire doors are light weight and have channels through them.or are a bit like weaterbix inside.

door blanks are solid pieces of timber stuck together to make 1 LARGE door,this can be cut down to size and lipped where needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back