Internal Door Contact Problem?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've knocked out and boarded up an internal door that has got an internally wired alarm contact in the door beam, and a magnetic contact on the top of the door.

Before I boarded up the door frame, I've left the wires from the beam accessible.

My idea is to re-attach the part that would have been bedded into the door beam, and then tape to that, the magnetic contact that would have "sat" in the top of the now removed door. Thus "fooling" the system that this "door" is closed, therefore the system can be armed.

I have two red wires, but when I connect these to a circular contact and then bring the magnetic "female" to it, the alarm will not set.

I've even tried connecting the two wires together as I am, (possibly incorrectly) assuming this is also going to "make" the circuit complete, but the alarm still will not set.

I can't believe I have a separate fault, as the alarm was fine before removing the internal door.

Any advice greatly appreciated> I am really sorry if I have explained this badly!!!

Ian in Northumberland

Sponsored Links
joining the two rd wires is the best idea (then choc bloc it) but since it doesnt work you may have broken the other wires (from what you have said there is at least a 4 core in and a 4 core out, since you mention 2 reds, no one alarm cable has 2 reds)

Ian if you have two red wires that means there is a second contact somewhere else you'll probably find there are two cables going to the contact . Joining the red wires together should indeed show the system is closed. My advice is to twist the two reds together then shut all other internal doors then try setting the alarm. Sounds like they are worried in series so all or one of the other doors needs to be shut to complete the circuit

Sponsored Links
These replies are FAST and appreciated!!!!

There are indeed some other wires that I've left exposed, but none of them other than two red ones are open ended.

I should have added that a black wire was looped around one of the door beam connectors, but the strange thing is that this black wire does not have exposed metal wiring, it's just the plastic covering that was looped through a screwed connector so it seems to me that was the original fitter having a bit of fun with an amateur like me who subsequently stumbled upon his wiring??

if the black cable is still covered it's unlikely to cause a problem have you tried as suggested twsting or choc blocking the red's together and then shutting all other internal doors ?

That's my first job in the morning!! At least now I know I am on the right lines thanks to your speedy feedback lads!!!

Thanks again, I'll update tomorrow IF I put it right, and, if I don't I'll try to explain better the symptoms to hopefully get further help!!

Cheers again!!!

There may be a tamper loop as well as the magnet operated contact pair.

The tamper loop needs to be closed as well as the pair to the contact.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back