Internal Double Doors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am looking to install a pair of internal double doors between a hall and dining room and just wondering what fastening arrangements some of you have used in the past, the doors will be rebated.
Last set I fitted had a conventional set of handles with a rebate kit and one of the doors had a bolt that fastened into the head of the casing, the second door latched into this first door. However there was no sill at the bottom and as the carpet was waaay thick there was only one bolt at the top fastening the first door into the casing, and no bolt at the bottom (carpet and no sill). This worked ok but there was a bit of play or wobble at the bottom of the doors as obviously there was no bolt to firm the first door up and then the second to fasten to.

Any suggestions on how to make the fatening a little better and reduce this wobble as again there is to be no sill with this set and floor is carpeted or am I just limited as I suspect I am due to the carpet/no sill arrangement?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
wooden threshold under door and use a flush fitting bolt or rack and pinion type or wooden floor right through

Or a brass/chrome keep plate drilled to accept a lower bolt or door strike plate, fitted to carpeted floor

Floor is carpeted with thick carpet/underlay so looks like a threshold will be best really to fasten into. I could just install this over the existing carpet, any thoughts on this or is there any benefit to cutting the narrow strip of carpet out from under where the threshold will sit?

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
you will need to work with a carpet fitter, fixing some carper grabber and creating a gap in the carpet for threshold piece use a strip of hardwood rebated on the edges to cover the joints or alternatively a good carpet fitter could have an all round solution, I stress GOOD carpet fitter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back