Latch/Hinge for Hallway Cupboard Double Doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am fitting two new 533x1981x35mm plywood doors onto a wide storage cupboard on my hallway.

The old doors were held in place by steel hinges top and bottom. One door was secured with a sliding barrel bolt into the top of the cupboard and the second door was secured into the first door via a roller bolt/latch.

This meant the door with the barrel bolt could only be opened after the door with the roller bolt/latch had been opened.

I would like some advice about better latch/hinge options to keep both doors closed securely whilst still allowing them to be opened and closed preferably independently.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
magnetic or ball catches should do
Thanks for responding. I had thought of magnetic catches at first but I figured that the magnetic ones would only be suitable for smaller cabinet type doors.

I weighed each door and they are both 7.7kg

I found these Hafele magnetic catches http://www.hafele.co.uk/Hafele35a1/...p?param=9406&ig_id=63563&title=Magnetic+catch Hafele say they are rated to 8kg do you think they would be still be able to provide a strong secure pull with the door weight being so close to the maximum rating for the catch?

Never heard of Ball Catches before are these what you mean? http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ironmongery/Catches/Double+Ball+Catch+50mm/d170/sd2310/p62600

What size ball catch would you recommend? They seem to come in either

43mm
50mm
60mm
70mm

But suppliers don't point out the weight tolerences between the sizes.

Thanks again

when you close the doors will there be a lead door with a bar on to fill the gap or 2 doors with a small open gap between them ??

Sponsored Links
when you close the doors will there be a lead door with a bar on to fill the gap or 2 doors with a small open gap between them ??
There will be 2 doors with a small open gap between them.

any catch will do
go for a medium to large size to help accidental opening with knocking or something falling against the door inside

any catch will do
go for a medium to large size to help accidental opening with knocking or something falling against the door inside
Good thinking.

I have seen pictures of the double ball catch online. I think they are well clever and will probably provide the sturdiness I am looking for. I will try some out tommorow.

Many thanks again for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back