Tiny alternative to traditional sprung hinge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of a strange one, but I'm using 'hacked' B&Q kitchen cupboards in our bathroom under the sink to give us some extra storage and also as an alternative way of boxing in the toilet pipe that runs through the bathroom. I've sort of 'remade' the cupboards to fit, and in order to fit the cupboard over the large soil pipe (which runs as ground level along the skirting board) I've had to cut a curved section out of the bottom of the cupboard carcass. Unfortunately this leaves the bottom of the cupboard only about 1 inch thick (from door to wall if that makes sense) at the bottom edge, and this area is where the door hinge sits. I've relocated the hinge higher up on the door so there are two hinges in the top half of the door and none at the bottom, but unfortunately this doesn't seem to be offering quite enough support to allow the door to open straight, and so its scraping on the floor when it opens, and I think it will weaken if left this way over time. But the remaining carcass isn't wide enough to fasten a traditional hinge at the bottom as they sit quite far back on the cupboard carcass. So, I'm going to need some sort of alternative hinge for this area to support the door. Any ideas for the type of hinge I should use? As there are traditional sprung hinges at the top, it would have to mimic the same 'up and out' action that the other hinges use.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If you fit a small block of wood flush to the front of the carcase and about 1" thick this will give you enough width to be able to use a face frame sprung hinge which will fit your existing hole in teh door.

One of these make sure you order the hinge AND teh mounting plate.

J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back